Top tips for writing winning aviation industry CVs

Irrespective of whether you’re applying for an aircraft engineer post or a first officer or Captain’s vacancy, your CV is what will ultimately define whether or not your potential future employer calls you to interview. 

If you do a Google search for “writing CVs”, you’ll get tons of support and suggestions.  In fact there’s so much information on this subject you could be forgiven for giving up the ghost and just re-hashing your old CV.  In many ways it would be a real shame to do that, which is why we’ve put together these 10 Top Tips to help you write a winning CV: 

  1. Don’t be shy. Most of us are conditioned not to ‘blow our own trumpets’, but you need to put this conditioning to one side when it comes to writing your CV.  There really is no place for modesty when you’re outlining why you’re the perfect person for your dream aviation job.  All of that said, it’s important not to ‘over-egg the custard’ either, so make sure you get your best points in prime position and give evidence to back up your claims.

  2. Give the job the importance it deserves. Ask even the keenest job candidate whether they’re looking forward to writing or re-writing their CV and their response will be a definite and positive “no”.  This is a real shame, because writing a CV in 2015 takes energy, commitment and concentration.  You need to think differently than you did even a handful of years ago, both when it comes to presenting yourself and laying out your CV, so do make sure you give this task the importance it deserves.

  3. Match your strengths and experience with the vacancy. It sounds really obvious, but there is no such thing as a CV that fits all vacancies.  Every vacancy, even for the same sort of job will have unique features and it’s essential that you take the time to identify those features and apply your skills and knowledge to precisely what the employer is looking for.

  4. Clearly identify your Unique Selling Points (USPs). People, as well as products and services have USPs and identifying yours is an essential part of getting your CV firing on all cylinders.  Your USPs may be as simple as your devotion to delivering; your tenacity in completing tasks or your innovation in solution finding, but once you apply these to the pains or problems being faced by your potential employer they become dynamite.  Don’t let this difficult but important task slip through your fingers.

  5. Show yourself in your best light. While a CV is no place for frilly or fancy language, using strong adjectives such as diligent, determined, dynamic, energetic, enterprising, loyal and persistent add real power to your CV elbow.  

  6. Think search engines. In this day and age, you can’t rely on your CV as being for human consumption only.  As a result, you need to think carefully about the keywords that will match the job you’re looking for and how you can fit them naturally and convincingly into your text. 

  7. Keep it short. A winning CV needn’t and normally shouldn’t be War and Peace.  Aim for 2 or a maximum of 3 sides of A4 with lots of white space.  Where you can, use bullet points that are concise, aimed at the job description and that provide statistical or experiential evidence.

  8. Use your space wisely. It’s worth bearing in mind that what you say ‘above the fold’ ie.  in the first half of the first page of your CV is likely to be what either lands your CV in the ‘interview pile’ or not.  It’s essential that you use this space above the fold to present a powerful overview of exactly why you should be called to interview.  A well put together Personal Statement or summary at the top of the first page will engage even the most critical potential employer and the short bullet points underneath should make it crystal clear that they can’t afford to ignore you when it comes to planning their interview shortlist.

  9. Take time to check. Like covering letters, your CV is no place for grammatical errors or spelling mistakes, so take the time to make sure it’s free of both.

  10. Amend your CV every time you use it. When you apply for a job, it may well be that 90% of the CV that you used for the last job is relevant, but taking the time to adapt or amend the remaining 10% will pay huge dividends, so don’t forget to take the time to do so.

If you’re on the lookout for an aviation job, why not upload your CV today to get headhunted by top airlines and aviation companies as well as receiving job alerts that tell you when new jobs that match your criteria are posted on our site? 

In order to stay up to date with what’s happening at AviationMatch, why not follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook or save this page as a favourite so you can keep your finger firmly on the pulse of what’s happening on the aviation job front? 

By

Published:

Back to listing